The 2022 State of Theology survey, conducted by Ligonier Ministries in partnership with LifeWay Research, confirms that a growing percentage of US adults have misconceptions about foundational biblical truths.
The survey, which has been conducted every two years since 2014, was created to take the theological temperature of adults in the United States and to learn what people on the streets and in congregations really believe so that the church can be equipped for discipleship.
In the 2022 survey results, responses to statements about God, Jesus, and the Bible reveal concerning trends related to belief in the exclusivity and deity of Jesus, the divine origin of Scripture, and the reality of objective truth.
“The Bible, like all sacred writings, contains helpful accounts of ancient myths but is not literally true.”
The percent of US adults who agree with the statement above has increased by 12% in only eight years.
Our friends, neighbors, and colleagues increasingly do not accept the historicity and truth of the Scripture.
Ministries like Truth For Life that reach into the culture to proclaim and teach Gospel truth are as important as ever before!
Our daily program is distributed widely to every major city in America, and our free website and mobile app are trusted sources of truth for people in nations around the world. This is all made possible by way of our partnership with you, our listeners. The consistent monthly giving from Truthpartners—listeners who give an amount they choose each month—collectively cares for the production and free distribution of Alistair’s teaching. Truth For Life is 100% funded by you.
This month, we’re praying that God will add to the Truthpartner team. You may be surprised to learn that it’s not a small number of listeners giving large donations that fund Truth For Life but a large number of listeners giving $20, $30, or $50 each month—gifts that, when added together, bring the Gospel message to a world that is clearly and increasingly misled.
When you become a Truthpartner, we’ll send you a welcome package and invite you to request our monthly book offers. The books are yours simply for the asking, without making any additional donation. They are an expression of our sincere gratitude.
Most importantly, however, you’ll be part of the essential team that helps make the truth about God, Jesus, and eternity available and accessible to so many who desperately need it—people like these listeners:
“My husband heard you on the program Truth For Life. Then online we found your sermons. We were taught stories about the Bible but never really understood. You have given me more understanding of the Bible and Christianity in the past two months then during my entire forty-eight years of life!”
“I was caught in some very poor teaching that included the prosperity gospel and legalism. When Truth For Life came on the radio, I recognized that Alistair was teaching only truth from the Bible. I’ve been listening ever since.”
In response to other key findings,
here’s what the Bible has to say:
- 60% of US adults think that religious belief is a matter of personal opinion; it is not about objective truth.
- “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life … that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you.” (1 John 1:1, 3)
- 52% believe that God learns and adapts to different circumstances.
- “I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose.’” (Isaiah 46:9–10)
- 55% believe that Jesus is the first and greatest being created by God.
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.” (John 1:1–3)
- 40% believe that modern science disproves the Bible.
- “We did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made know to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty” (2 Peter 1:16).
- 53% believe that Jesus was a great teacher, but He was not God.
- “I and the Father are one.” (John 10:30)
- “In him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily.” (Colossians 2:9)
- 42% do not believe that only those who trust in Jesus Christ alone as their Savior receive God’s free gift of eternal salvation.
- “There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)
- 67% believe that God accepts the worship of all religions.
- “There is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” (1 Timothy 2:5)
- 66% believe that everyone sins a little, but most people are good by nature.
- “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.”
View the entire 2022 State of Theology survey results.
Topics: Ministry Updates